Your child’s oral health starts with you. Show them the ropes.
Once your child’s first teeth start to come in it can be an exciting time for the whole family. Keeping teeth and gums healthy should be a top priority in your household. Our Folsom, CA, pediatric dentist, Dr. Shaina DiMariano, is here to provide some helpful hints for how to make sure your child is maintaining good oral health.
- When teeth start to come in then it’s time to use the tiniest drop of toothpaste on a small toothbrush. Use gentle circular motions to clean these teeth. As teeth begin to grow in together you will need to start flossing your little one’s teeth. Always be gentle when moving floss between teeth as children’s gums are sensitive.
- When you first start flossing your child’s teeth you may notice some bleeding. Offer up a non-verbal signal between you and your child that they can use if they are feeling any discomfort while you floss.
- By the time your child turns one year old they should be seeing our Folsom family dentist every six months for routine checkups. These checkups are great for removing plaque and tartar buildup and for parents to learn the ins and outs of caring for their child’s smile. These visits can sometimes be just as important for parents as they can be for children, since it’s the perfect time to ask us questions.
- When your child is old enough to know not to swallow toothpaste then it’s time to switch to a fluoridated toothpaste, which will help keep teeth enamel strong and protect against decay. You will continue to brush your child’s teeth until they reach the age of six or seven, when they have enough dexterity to handle the toothbrush on their own.
- Even once children start brushing you’ll want to make oral care a family routine so that you can monitor how often, how long and how effectively they are brushing. Every time they brush and floss their teeth consider a reward program that will get them excited and willing to care for their smile on a regular basis.
DiMariano Family Dentistry & Orthodontics is dedicated to providing individualized and compassionate dental care for the whole family. Whether your child needs braces or you want to talk about cosmetic dentistry options, we are here for you.