Good oral hygiene is a family affair. As parents, we must look after how kids brush and floss and what they eat, too. At DiMariano Family Dentistry & Orthodontics in Folsom, CA, Dr. Shaina DiMariano and her team enjoy every aspect of pediatric dentistry and particularly patient teaching. They'll partner with you in showing children how to care for their teeth and gums so their smiles stay healthy and bright their entire lives.
The foundation of oral hygiene
It's the home and the example parents set for their kids. If you brush, floss and eat a good diet, kids will follow suit. Plus, Mom and Dad must actually brush the teeth of their very young children and supervise the older ones--particularly with flossing.
So, what are the basic points of pediatric oral hygiene? There are a few, including:
- Brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste--just a smear for a baby/toddler or a pea-sized amount for a child up to six years old
- Make sure brushing covers all tooth surfaces and those hard to reach back teeth, says the American Academy of Pediatrics (APA)
- Flossing once a day for kids three and older
- Rinsing well with clear water after each session
- Modeling and serving a low-sugar, high protein and high fiber diet to include plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Drinking several glasses of water a day to rinse tooth surfaces and encourage the production of antibacterial saliva
In addition, your Folsom, CA, pediatric dentist asks parents to bring little ones to the office for a simple check-up by the time the first baby teeth erupt. Routine examinations, X-rays as needed and those all-important hygienic cleanings begin at age three.
How important it is, really?
The APA says that 50 percent of children experience at least one cavity by the age of five. Frankly, those baby teeth must stay healthy so a child does not experience dental pain, tooth loss or problems with his or her adult teeth in the future. As such, Dr. DiMariano cautions parents that good oral hygiene habits should emphasized, forming a solid foundation for great oral health.
Come see us
At DiMariano Family Dentistry & Orthodontics, we love all our patients, but especially, the youngest of kids. We consider it a privilege to make their dental experiences comfortable and fun, and we love seeing vibrant smiles grow and develop. To arrange for routine exams and cleanings or ask any questions about pediatric dentistry, please call the office team in Folsom, CA, at (916) 983-6655. We look forward to serving your entire family.